Frequently Asked

 Client Login









What type of work do you do?

   McCarty Associates does residential, commercial, and industrial work.

Do I need a building permit?

   In Ohio, the basic rule is that the construction of all new commercial buildings and work that structurally changes existing commercial buildings through remodeling and additions will require a building permit. Most electrical, plumbing, and mechanical work beyond basic repairs will also require a building permit. If the building is not under the jurisdiction of a city, township, or county building department, it is under default jurisdiction of the State of Ohio Building Department.

   The need for a residential building permit will depend on the regulations in your city, township, or county. You may need a building permit for smaller projects as well, including fences, storage sheds, sidewalks, decks, patios, pools, and signs.

   It is best to check with your local city, township, county, or state Building Department in Ohio to find out if you will need a building permit before starting any project that will involve construction.

   If you have any further questions, our design professionals will be more than happy to talk with you and discuss how we may be of service to acquire any needed permits for your endeavor.

Do you do house plans?

   Yes, McCarty Associates does design house plans. From basic floor plan and elevation drawings to fully detailed plans including structural, electrical, mechanical, and site design, we can design the custom home you have always wanted.

   Custom plans do cost more than those that may be ordered online or bought at a big box home improvement store. These plans many times lack clarity and detail for the contractor, and may not pass building inspections due to being mass produced for distribution nation wide and not specifically for your locale. Custom plans are designed to your exact specification, for the climate your house will be located in, and to comply with all applicable local building codes.

How much does a survey cost?

   While fees for surveys of some well-maintained city lots and subdivision lots may be quickly estimated over the phone, in most cases the cost of a survey is highly dependent on the topography, density of undergrowth, and the quality of available public records. In relatively flat land with clear lines of sight between corners, field work can be completed much more quickly than in densely wooded tracts of land with many changes in elevation. Obstructions between corner pins require multiple equipment set ups and thus more time in the field. Other items affecting costs can include parcel shape, availability of records and prior surveys, and evidence of existing corner pins. Each land parcel is unique, so to provide the best value for the client, McCarty Associates quotes all survey fees individually, tailored to the specifics of your property.

   You may use the request survey page on our site, or call us with all the pertinent information (street address, owners name, etc…) on the parcel you wish to have surveyed. We will send you a work proposal detailing all work to be done and a price within a day.

What is the difference between a GPS and conventional survey?

   A GPS survey locates each corner pin of your property in relation to the State Plane Coordinate System, while a conventional survey locates each corner pin in relation to other pins located on your property and on adjoining properties. McCarty Associates utilizes GPS technology on all surveys and also ties into the National Geodetic Survey.

   Many firms do not use GPS technology and this may be reflected in lower survey prices due to lower equipment costs. While at first glance it may seem that both types of surveys are equal, and the lowest price is the best one, in most cases, the GPS survey provides a better value. In the future, if a corner pin is lost or removed, with the use of GPS survey coordinates, it can be quickly reset within a fraction of it's original location. If, on the other hand the survey was done with conventional equipment, the survey will need to be retraced to reset the missing pin, which can often cost as much as the original survey.

   When comparing costs of surveys from different firms, it’s important to be sure you are comparing ‘apples to apples.’

How does the land division process work?

   The process of transferring land can be confusing and time consuming for those who are not familiar with it. There are applications to be made and fees to be paid to various governmental agencies. With this in mind McCarty Associates has outlined a detailed step by step procedure guideline that will assist you in understanding what needs to be done. It also outlines what we as the surveyor will typically do and what tasks you will typically need to do as the owner.

Items typically completed by owner:

1. Contact your local Zoning Office to confirm the desired lot size and dimensions will conform to zoning regulations

2. Contact the Planning commission to determine if the new lot is a simple lot split or a major subdivision according to the governing subdivision regulations.

3. Contact ODOT or the County Engineers office for access approval for the new lot.

4. Contact the Board of Health to confirm septic approvability. Will the new lot have an on-site sewer system or will it be connected to public sewer?

It is recommended that you do these steps before we start our work to ensure that the proposed lot will be acceptable and approvable by the above agencies.

After these agencies have reviewed the new lot we will begin our survey. Items completed by McCarty Associates:

5. Obtain copies of the necessary recorded documents to perform the survey. This will include information from the tax map office, recorders office, County Engineer’s office, ODOT.

6. Complete our initial field work. This consists of finding and locating any existing property corner monumentation on your lot as well as possibly on your neighbors property.

7. Complete office calculations, draw a plat, and write a legal description for the new lot.

8. Set final corner pins on the new property corners.

9. Send to you an original plat drawn on mylar with 6 paper copies and 2 copies of the legal description.

10. Take the mylar and legal description to the Tax Map Office for review and approval. You may need to take it to other governmental agencies for approval as well.

This will complete our service for you. There are still additional tasks that need to be completed by you.

11. You will also need to deliver a copy of the plat and legal description to an attorney in order to prepare the deed. At this time the attorney will typically set up a time to finalize the transfer of the new lot.

As you can see there are several steps that need to be accomplished by you as the owner. If you so desire we can perform these items for you for an additional fee.

The typical cost estimates only includes tasks 5-9. It does not include these additional tasks. Also any additional application fees and attorney fees will need to be paid by you.

Because each job is different, the time to complete is always different as well. For your information as a reference;

Steps 1-4 are usually completed within 3 to 5 working days.

Steps 5-9 are usually completed within 3 to 10 working days.

Steps 10-11 are usually completed within 1 to 2 working days.

Some files contained within this site require Acrobat Reader,
free software for viewing and printing Adobe Portable Document Format files.
Get it Here.
Get Acrobat Reader
GNP Designz

Content © 2019 McCarty Associates LLC